Kathryn McSwain is a Senior-level figure skater and choreographer working to advance a greater understanding of—and appreciation for—artistry in the sport. (View Kate’s resume.)
She travels across the country, offering coaching and choreography, in addition to her Sk8tivity artistic clinics, to help fellow figure skaters adapt to the “new” International Judging System (IJS) Component requirements and perform at their highest artistic potential.
For the past 6 years, she has also worked as an instructor in yoga, Pilates, and dance.
Kate has choreographed show programs for several nationally-renowned competitors, including:
- 2009, 2010, & 2012 U.S. Men’s National Champion Jeremy Abbott
- 2012 U.S. National Pairs Champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin
- 2012 Italian National Champion Paul Parkinson
- 2012 U.S. Men’s Silver Medalist Adam Rippon
- 2010 U.S. Ladies National Champion Rachael Flatt
2012 U.S. National Junior Pairs Bronze Medalists Colin Grafton and Kylie Duarte
- 2011 National Pairs Champion Caitlin Yankowskas
- 2012 Canadian Ice Dance Bronze Medalists Piper Gilles and Paul Poirer
- 2008 World Junior Ice Dance Champion Emily Samuelson
- 2008 National Junior Ladies Champion Alexe Gilles
- 2008 National Novice Ladies Champion Marissa Secundy
- 2006 World Pairs Junior Champion Drew Meekins
- National Senior Men’s competitor Wesley Campbell
- National Senior Men’s competitor Alex Johnson
Read more about Kate’s choreography.
Experience & Training
She has also written, produced, and directed a full stage production, in addition to choreographing multiple productions and musicals off the ice. She is knowledgeable about performance concepts such as stage presence, body awareness, emotional expression, and artistic presentation.
With a theater degree from the University of Colorado, extensive training in dance, Pilates, and yoga, and substantial performance experience, Kate brings a fresh, out-of-the-box perspective to expression in figure skating.
Read more about Kate’s experience & training in figure skating, dance, Pilates, and yoga.
Awards & Honors
- 1st place, Senior Level, National Showcase Artistic Competition (2012, 2011, and 2009)
- Bronze Winner, ProSkaters’ “Virtual Skate Off” original performance competition (2011)
- Finalist, Audrey Weisiger’s Grassroots to Champions: Young Artists Showcase international choreography competition (2010)
- 7th place, Ladies Junior Level, Southwestern Regionals (2005)
- 7th place, Ladies Junior Level, Midwestern Sectionals (2004)
- 2nd place, Ladies Junior Level, Southwestern Regionals (2004)
Kate also served as a member of the board of ProSkaters from Dec. 2011-Dec. 2012.
For More Information
- Check out Kate’s resume.
- Read more about Kate’s choreography or her experience & training in figure skating, dance, Pilates, and yoga.
- View the Sk8tivity PDF brochure.
- Watch Kate’s 3-minute Bio & Choreography Reel, where she introduces herself, her influences, and some samples of her work (created for the 2010 Grassroots to Champions: Young Artists Showcase choreography competition.)