Kate was a finalist in Audrey Wiesiger’s 2010 “Grassroots to Champions: Young Artists Showcase” international figure skating choreography competition. Competitors had to post videos online in response to a series of choreography challenges over the course of several weeks. View Kate’s entries for the challenges:
- Intro: Kate’s 3-minute Bio & Choreography Reel, where she introduces herself, her influences, and some samples of her work.
- Challenge 1, “CARVING SPACE:” choreographers were to “focus on pure skating, using edges and turns, create a seamless flow of movement from one shape to another using the whole body working through space.” Watch Kate’s entry, inspired by drops of rain. She chose music by DeVotchKa from the “Little Miss Sunshine” soundtrack.
- Challenge 2a, “PROPER SEATING:” choreographers were to “focus on innovative piece using prop which must be something you can sit on.” Watch Kate’s entry, which makes fascinating use of a collapsible stool. She used Lady Gaga’s hit song, “Teeth,” for this entry.
- Challenge 2b, “STOMP ON IT:” choreographers were to “focus on percussion and skate sounds to create a daring and innovative piece” using assigned music. Watch Kate’s entry for Stomp.
- Challenge 3, “A RETURN TO THE CLASSICS:” choreographers were to “focus on ballet and classical style. Create a story, emotional life and relationship with an imagined partner.” Watch Kate’s entry, skated to the ballet Giselle, and performed by none other than U.S. Olympian (and Kate’s close friend) Jeremy Abbott.
- Challenge 4a, “FOSSE, FOSSE, FOSSE:” choreographers were to “focus on Fosse-style piece that shows that you understand how the body articulates at the joints. This should also be an entertainment show number.” Watch Kate’s upbeat entry for Fosse, skated to “I Gotcha” from Liza with a Z.
- Challenge 4b, “INSPIRING THE NEXT GENERATION:” choreographers were to “focus on developing skating skills, performance skills and artistry in young skater.” Watch Kate’s Mambo/Latin-inspired entry, skated by 12-year-old Cleveland-area skater Cristen Barnett.